This is the fourth time Hungary participates in the European Elections, and here are some quick facts to start our English coverage:
- There are 8,008,739 people eligible to vote in the European Elections of Hungary, 7,873,125 of them are Hungarian or EU citizens residing in Hungary who can cast their ballot at one of the 10,277 domestic voting districts today. There are 3390 EU citizens who opted to vote in the Hungarian elections.
- 20,290 people living abroad can cast their ballot at either of the 130 Hungarian Embassies, and there are 115,324 Hungarian citizens with no permanent address in Hungary or any other EU member states eligible to vote by mail.
- There are 9 parties contesting for 21 seats in the European Parliament. Electoral threshold is at 5%.
- Polling stations have opened this morning at 6:00 AM, and will be closing at 7:00 PM.
- We will have to wait quite a long time until the results start rolling in; Polls in Italy will only be closing at 11:00 PM, and until then, official results are kept under wraps.
- The European Parliament will start publishing the first estimated results based on available exit poll data at around 6:00 PM, and the first mandate projection at around 8:15.